Links

Here are some interesting things







Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Homemade walking aid tackles Multiple Sclerosis

A scientist whose wife has multiple sclerosis has developed a walking aid that has been shortlisted for an award.

Ken Armitage and wife Anne were trying to reach a pub on Dartmoor in time for a cream tea.

Mr Armitage improvised using his rucksack and a bungee strap, and the couple made it in time for tea.

Mr Armitage is a geo-physicist and spends his time inventing things, though not usually disability-related products.

"Our need was to get to a pub that was serving the best cream teas on Dartmoor," Anne Armitage told the BBC News website.

"My husband had this wonderful idea - he took off his rucksack, put a bungee on my foot and I covered the last two kilometres and got there in time for tea."

The Armitages - together with a partner, Andrew Wynd - have formed a company to market the MuSmate to the public.

.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moni said...

That is very cool. It looks like something I used to play with when I was a kid. I used to get a jump rope and put in on my foot and try and lift my foot up as I walked.

I truly hope it helps...well, actually I truly hope there's a cure in the new future. But until then, this seems awesome.

:)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Moni said...

ooops I mean "near" future. ;)

8:52 PM  
Blogger McFox said...

I hope it works well. The idea is a decent one. Bit pricey though. :o/

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great idea! folks with ms need all the help they can get.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<;p class="comment-timestamp"> << Home